Friday, September 11, 2009

Wedding Friday

Friday morning we were up and dressed loading the vehicles by 7: am. The excitement in our house was contagious! Everyone headed off in different directions to accomplish all the many jobs that awaited them. My amazing friend Joanie and her husband Frank hung closely to T and me the whole day, or I should say the whole weekend. It seemed that before we could think of what we needed they were there ready to assist us. Most of the work for decorating at Hotel had been done ahead of time. B, T and me spent the previous weeks:
Making and Ironing table runners and toppers
Gluing ribbons to vases
Putting the stones in the vases
Trimming a gazillion candle wicks
Washing votive holders
Cutting ribbon sashes for 222 chairs
Cutting trees down and cementing them in pots
Tying raffia on over twenty vases
Printing and framing wedding pictures
Ordering favors and wrapping them for our guest
Ordering noise makers
Packing and labeling everything so that it would be easy to find…
We arrived at the Hotel at 8: am and with the help of our friends Jim, Judy, Mylea, Frank, and Joanie, we were able to knock out the decorating and head over to the Church to decorate there.




After getting everything pulled together at the church(Sorry no pictures yet) I headed toward home. As I got in the car I remembered that I hadn’t picked up the fresh flowers at the local florist. All their stems are half price on Fridays after 4:pm so the plan was to wait till then to pick them up. I zoomed over and picked them up just before they closed. Then I had to drive the flowers back to the Hotel and put them in the cooler which made me run terribly late. Who knew the entire population of our city would be on the road at that time? Just as I arrived at home everyone else was heading to the rehearsal so I told them to go ahead without me that I would drive over shortly in our other vehicle. This is where the fun really started! I got dressed and headed out the door only to remember that my key to the extra vehicle was in my purse, that was in the car that my husband took, along with my cell phone. Here I was standing in the sweltering heat in my front yard with no way to get back in my house or call my family members to come and get me. I decided to walk to a neighbor’s house and asked to use their phone. As she handed the phone to me it dawned on me that I didn’t have any of my family members telephone numbers memorized(thank you speed dial for making me a dummy). After calling several wrong numbers I gave up. My neighbor offered to bring me to the church which was across town so not having a better plan I accepted. I arrived about twenty-five minutes late and it appeared that no one had even missed me. You would think the mother-of–the–bride would play a more vital role but it seems that the efficient woman that I had in charge of the evening was doing a wonderful job. Everything continued as planned and I just joined right in thinking "if only you people knew what I have just been through, and by the way the reason I don't have lipstick on right now is because it too is in that same purse with my keys, and cell phone."
The rehearsal dinner was wonderful! Please stay tuned for the rest of the saga…

No comments: