Monday, September 14, 2009

The Wedding Day Before Noon

I woke up early the day of the wedding and headed over to the Hotel. The wedding cakes were going to be delivered at 8: am and I was responsible for decorating them. I must say that this daughter of mine sure knows how to stretch me. She has so much creativity! When she first described to me what she wanted her cake to look like I was a bit surprised. She was going for the all natural look. She requested that her cakes be placed on stumps, five to be exact. She drew it out on a piece of paper for me and of course being the mother I am, I said “no problem we will make it happen.” Well, thankfully our wonderful friends Rodney and Carolyn caught the vision. I explained what I was looking for and they went to work creating it. In no time at all they had five beautiful mesquite stumps ready for a preview. When we saw them, both B and I were amazed. It was as if they had read her mind and created exactly what she wanted. The other request was that the cakes have sugared fruit on it. After doing a little research we scratched the sugar because of possible melting and decided to stick with fresh fruit. B and I took a trip to the grocery store and she picked out everything she wanted on the cake which consisted of tangerine oranges, sweet dried mango, and fresh figs. We added a few willow branch tips as well as coffee berries from the florist and voila! She also requested that no two cakes look alike. No bows, nothing symmetrical, those were her request.
When I arrived at the Hotel I looked at the bare cakes (Irish cream with cream cheese icing) and prayed “Lord, you know what B wants so please guide me.” She was so pleased with the outcome! I think I may have surprised myself as well as her. I really do think my hands were divinely guided. It was just too pretty to take any credit for it. Who would have ever thought a bunch of stumps would turn out so beautifully?




Here is a picture of the grooms cake as well. It was a chocolate stout cake covered in ganache. Very Tasty!

Speaking of stretching I think I really challenged my friend Joanie when I handed her a pot of flowers and requested that she make nine corsages and a throw away bouquet. She immediately got to work as though she knew exactly what to do, and didn’t complain not once. When she was almost finished she informed me that this was the first time she had ever made corsages. Well, she sure could have fooled me. They were gorgeous!
I have to say that the most hilarious thing that happened on Saturday morning had to do with T, my husband. It was his job to go to the pet store and pick up the twenty-four goldfish that went by pairs into the sixteen inch vases in the ballroom. He took great care to fill the vases with water, insert special drops, and then gently place the goldfish in. He came to me very disturbed and said “I don’t know what happened, I must have forgotten to put the drops in one of the vases because when I put the fish in they immediately dropped to the bottom and died” with emphasis on immediately. It was so sad. He went ahead and finished putting all the other fish in the vases and then came back to fish out the dead ones and replace them with two more. As he reached in the vase he realized he hadn’t forgotten the drops but had forgotten to put the water, which explained why the fish went directly to the bottom. We all had a good laugh at T’s mishap but were sad for the little fish.



When all was done we left the Hotel only to return after the wedding. I will tell you more about the wedding day in my next post…

No comments: