Thursday, July 23, 2009

Peek-a-boo Doilies

My sweet little granddaughter (AKA as “The Jewel” to her Maime) already has wonderful taste. I am introducing her to the vintage scene as quickly as possible. Somehow I have ended up with a ton of crochet doilies. My mom crochets and has made several for me. I dare say I have a collection. After moving into our new home last summer I never really found a resting place for these wonderful friends. I left a basket full of them sitting on the floor just to remind me to find a home for the worn old sisters. I noticed that “The Jewel” seemed to be preoccupied by the one doily that lives on the coffee table. She will play with it for what seems like forever. She laces it around her shoulders, through her arms, around her head and then starts all over again. She recently discovered the basket full of doilies sitting on the floor and that’s when it happened…she became a vintage chic. I have never seen such passion! She takes them all out of the basket, sniffs them, puts them on her head, drapes them on her neck, laces them through her arms, drags them across the floor and signs the word “please and more” for me to play peek-a-boo with her. Needless to say that’s when I get on the floor and proceed to find a new appreciation for vintage doilies. I lace them around my arms, drape them on my shoulders, put them on my head and slide around on the floor laughing and playing peek-a-boo with my little Jewel. My heart is content! The doilies have found their resting place and will continue to live there in the basket on the floor until they are no longer appreciated. When that time comes they will retire to their original purpose but it will never compare to the one they served while living in the basket on the floor, bringing laughter and joy to a little “Jewel” and her grandmother. Is there anything unusual in your home that your child or grandchild love to play with? Do tell!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Mom of Three Elkins' said...

i had no idea all the trials you have been going through! Isn't God good to give us moments of reprieve through sweet times sitting and playing with children. Praying for you!

Hope the wedding planning has been joyful!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on grandbaby #2!!!!