Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Transmission

I headed off to LA on July 6th to be with my father as he recovered from a major operation. Things didn’t go as we planned and though I am home now, he is still in the hospital. He will be there for at least two more weeks. He is doing better every day. I would appreciate your continued prayer for him.
My sweet husband decided that he would drive to LA and pick me up on Friday evening. Even though it’s an 11 hour trip he insisted that he wanted to come and get me rather than have me fly or drive home by myself. I admit that I was suffering from a bit of sleep deprivation and his decision seemed to be a wise one. We headed home on Saturday morning and after being on the road for about ten hours my car revved up and quit moving. We coasted to the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and realized that our transmission was not working. Uhh… pretty major deal I would say. To add to the saga, as we sat there in dismay contemplating what we would do next, I decided to get out of the car. I walked around the car a few times and then realized something had bitten my foot. It started swelling and stinging but I had no idea what bit me. It got worse by the minute. Just imagine sitting in the middle of nowhere, having an allergic reaction to who knows what and no way to get to help, oh, did I mention the temperature in the car was 116 degrees? Anyway my hero husband reminded me that I had benedryl in my purse, so I took it and pretty soon the bite was no longer the big issue at hand.

With our focus back on the non functioning vehicle we were able to contact a friend who had a trailer. Thanks to a good Samaritan, about an hour later we were on our way home in a borrowed truck.

I arrived home to a family that had been awaiting my return for several hours and all I could do was say goodnight because the benedryl was putting me to sleep. I got up the next morning to find that my dishwasher was full of water and not draining. In the midst of all these circumstances, and a few more I wouldn’t dare mention, I picked up a devotional that I try to read most mornings and read these words:
A lecturer to a group of businessmen displayed a sheet of white paper on which was one blot. He asked what they saw. All answered, “A blot.” The test was unfair; it invited the wrong answer, nevertheless, there is ingratitude in human nature by which we notice the black disfigurement and forget the widespread mercy. We need deliberately to call to mind the joys of our journey. Perhaps we should try to write down the blessings of one day. We might begin: we could never end: there are not pens or paper enough in all the world. The attempt would remind us of our “vast treasure of content.”
George A. Buttrick
Realizing that my little difficulties were so insignificant in comparison to the vast treasures that God has bestowed on me, I grew encouraged. And even though my car’s transmission is totally shot and I am facing various trials I can count it all joy, knowing that the testing of my faith produces patience (James1:1-2) and boy could I use a good dose of patience!
Making Memories, Maime

2 comments:

OhK-Booth said...

Thank you for this post. I really needed it today. I have been trying to preach to myself and figure out what the Lord has been trying to teach me also. I miss you and will probably see you in a few weeks.

thrifty and nifty said...

Wow! What a stressful time. It is so easy to get caught up in the hard times and the things that disappoint us that we forget to look at the little blessings life also has to offer. Great post.