Thursday, June 4, 2009

Annual Family Camping (Cabining)Trip

May has been an exceptionally busy month and somehow we managed to squeeze in a family vacation. I read years ago that if you want to bond with your family, you should spend time camping. Tim and I started camping with our girls when they were very young. Some of our first camping adventures have left indelible marks in my memory. Truly, each trip holds its own when it comes to memories. There are myriad choices when planning a family vacation but by far camping has been the most restful and memory making experience for our family. This year Tim and I chose Lake Brownwood State Park as our destination. Though most of our camping has either been by tent or RV, this year we chose the Fisherman’s Lodge. Ironically, it was available (It books up a year in advance). The reason we chose a lodge was because of our new granddaughter, Julia. The West Texas heat would not be a pleasant experience for an eight month old with out a cool place to retreat to. I might add that her Maime loved using her as an excuse to stay inside. You would not believe the chore it is to get the schedules of eight adults synchronized! Once that is out of the way, everything else is a breeze. During our respite, when one of my daughters thanked me for all the hard work that went into the weekend, I realized that it wasn’t hard at all. My mind reeled back to the days of packing camping gear, linens, food, clothes and everything else for a family of six for three or four days away from home. I remember being exhausted by the time we got where we were going, only to be faced with setting up camp and preparing meals for everyone. Camping trips for me in those days were quite the chore. I would arrive home after our “vacation” really needing a vacation. Everything has changed so much! My family has grown to the point where everyone packs for themselves and pitches in with everything else. I am only responsible for communicating the details to everyone; the menu and whatever goes along with preparing meals including grocery shopping; a few fun activities; and of course getting a “Happy” for everyone.” This year we all took turns preparing meals and cleaning up after. There is much to be said about adding son-in-laws to the mix. Benjamin and our soon to be son-in-law John Ryan sure did make things a lot easier for Tim. It’s so nice that he doesn’t have to do all the blue jobs alone anymore. I would have to say that this particular camping trip was by far one of my favorites. I’m not sure why, but I have speculated that having adult children who take so much responsibility for what goes on around them has made my role much easier and less motherly. I enjoyed so much having conversation with the girls in the morning, in my pajamas, while drinking coffee on the porch; the sweet smile of Julia as she greets the new day; doing whatever, whenever; laughing my head off at the male humor and male sounds in such large doses; and just being with my family without interruption.Camping (or cabining as we have decided to call it) is definitely a bonding experience.


Playing Horseshoes, I wonder who won?



Just taking it easy....



Julia sitting on Aunt Beka in her swimsuit without a diaper. Oops! What happened?



Keeping the little Boogie Bear out of the sun!



Bringing home the fish!



Bethany and John Ryan preparing a delicious meal!



Mary and her preoccupation with smores



Rusky and Ju-G fighting over the hat guess who won?


And the winner is.........



Cooking up the cakes!



Movie under the stars! WE ARE MARSHAL



The winning picture for Julia's funny faces!

I thought it might be beneficial to some of you younger moms to have copies of my schedule, menu, and fun activities. Why reinvent the wheel? If you are interested just email me and I will be happy to share all the details with you.
Making Memories, Maime

2 comments:

Mary said...

You just had to go and tell the whole world about my s'more addiction? Just kidding!
Love all the pics...especially the one of Ju-G peeing on Beka!

Anzaldua said...

Hey Aunt Elaine, I don't have your email address but I would love for you to email me the camping trip details. I think it would be fun for our family to go one day. Love all the pictures. Looks like everyone had a great time and made lots of memories. My email: jmrussola@cox.net