Friday, October 2, 2009

Nunchin

I stumbled upon a refreshing book at a half off book store in San Antonio that has been a wealth of fun . It is titled “The Art of The Table” by Suzanne Bon Drachenfels. I have enjoyed it so much. Did you know that in the eighteenth century food was prepared at daylight and the main meal was served at midday or in the early afternoon around 3pm? It was called dinner. In the long stretch between breakfast and dinner an informal snack was served and it was called nunchin. Eventually nunchin developed into nooning, a more substantial meal. And then the midday snack became lunch from the word lunshin meaning “lump” or “lump of food.” Today’s word “luncheon,” comes from the word lounge, meaning” a lump of bread and cheese.” There are many more interesting facts I will share with you as I continue to learn from my knew acquaintance, Suzanne, through her most lovely book.
I would also like to share my Fall tablescape with you. It’s very simple, which is unlike me, but I just felt a need for less.





I got these dishes from Wal-mart years ago and love them because it doesn’t matter what season it is , they always go with my décor. I have collected clear glass for years and find it to be the most practical way to change my tablescape, apart from white or ivory. I can add any color table linens and they just blend right in.
I’m off to enjoy my nunchin or nooning, or lump of food, or lunch as I call it.

1 comment:

Megan Spencer said...

Your table looks so beautiful and your home looks so warm and inviting:) You are so great at interior design!