Friday, January 29, 2010

Hospitality 101 Part 2


If you go over to Grace-Works you will know why I am not posting very often. My life seems to be hovering in the realm of busy these days. I love every minute of it! Though I will say many important people have been neglected and that I utterly loath. Anyway… here is another part to Hospitality 101.

Shop garage sales for second hand table linens, napkins, dishes and centerpieces. I recently found an entire shoe box filled with a variety of napkin rings for $5 at Goodwill. Not to mention that most of my tableware is bought second hand. 

Have a centerpiece for your table for each season of the year. I recently found a roll of snowman ribbon at a garage sale for $1, along with an enormous bow. I used it decorate my Christmas table and could have left it for the entire winter. The snowman theme was versatile enough. I will admit it wasn’t my most beautiful décor but it was full of color and quite festive and very pleasing to the little person’s eye. 


Do as much of the preparation ahead of time. Set your table the day before. Prepare any part of the meal you can ahead of time.

Until being hospitable becomes an art for you try to have everything done and ready to serve about fifteen minutes before your guest arrive so that you can use the last few minutes to relax and set a peaceful environment for your guest. Don’t forget to throw on some lipstick; it always makes you look together no matter what the rest of you looks like. When you get more experienced you may just want to allow your guest to be with you as you prepare the meal, as long as it doesn’t cause you anxiety for others to be in your kitchen. It could be a wonderful opportunity for you to learn something new or for someone to learn something new from you.  

Though some would say you should never have your apron on when your guest arrive, I love wearing aprons! I have a collection and highly recommend them. Apart from the apparent reason to wear an apron I also think it signifies a servant’s attitude. It says to your guest that you are there to serve them. My last two aprons were gifts that I have so enjoyed! You can find an amazing apron like the black and white versatile one I am wearing in the picture  at Apron Allure!

 This one was a Christmas gift from "The Jewel"! We now having matching aprons! 


Well, until next time keep Making Memories, Elaine

No comments: